RAF Syerston [entry point]
It opened in December 1940 originally as part of 1 Group. 304 Squadron and 305 Squadron occupied the station, both flying Wellingtons. In July 1941 RAF Syerston transferred to 5 Group and 408 Squadron arrived with Hampdens until leaving in December so concrete runways could be laid. The station re-opened in May 1942 when 61 Squadron moved in with Manchesters and Lancasters followed in September 1942 by 106 Squadron with Lancasters. Both squadrons moved out in November 1943 and RAF Syerston was occupied by 1668 Heavy Conversion Unit which, in January 1944, was renamed 5 Lancaster Finishing School. 49 Squadron Lancasters arrived in April 1945.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.