44 Squadron [concept]

Title

44 Squadron [concept]
Rhodesia Squadron

Description

44 Squadron was reformed in March 1937 and flew Hampdens from RAF Waddington as part of 5 Group Bomber Command at the start of the war. The squadron was the first squadron to convert completely to Lancasters in 1941. The squadron was named Rhodesia Squadron in the same year as around a quarter of its serving personnel were from Rhodesia. It moved to RAF Dunholme Lodge in May 1943 and to RAF Spilsby in September 1944. In July 1945 the squadron moved to RAF Mepal in preparation for Tiger Force. It was disbanded in July 1957.
It was stationed at: RAF Dunholme Lodge, RAF Spilsby and RAF Waddington.
Aircraft flown included: Hampden and Lancaster.
Wartime losses: 1043

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Gemma Clapton

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“44 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed June 26, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6262.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?