18 Squadron [concept]

Title

18 Squadron [concept]

Description

18 Squadron was originally formed in 1915. By 1939, it was equipped with Blenheims and sent to France as part of the Air Component of the British Expeditionary Force. After participating in operations in France during May 1940 the squadron returned to Great Britain and flew attacks on the invasion barges. During 1941 the squadron was operating in an anti-shipping role and also took part in operations against targets across the English Channel. Between October 1941 and January 1942 the squadron was deployed in Malta but, following heavy losses, was reformed back in Great Britain in May 1942. The squadron, still flying Blenheims, was transferred to North Africa in November 1942. It converted to Bostons in March 1943 and remained in the Mediterranean Theatre until the end of the war.
It was stationed at: RAF Watton, Horsham St Faith and RAF Wyton.
Aircraft flown included: Blenheim and Boston.
Wartime losses: 176

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Nigel Moore

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“18 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed September 23, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6255.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?