RAF Hemswell [entry point]
It was originally built in 1918 and re-opened in 1936 as a bomber station with grass runways. By September 1939 the station was in 5 Group with 61 Squadron and 144 Squadron in residence with Hampdens. The station transferred to 1 Group in July 1941 and RAF Hemswell was occupied by 300 Squadron and 301 Squadron equipped with Wellingtons. Both were Polish squadrons as was 305 Squadron which became resident at the station in July 1942. In June 1943 the station was closed for concrete runways to be laid. It re-opened in January 1944 as home to 1 Lancaster Finishing School until November 1944 when 150 Squadron and 170 Squadron moved in with Lancasters.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.