RAF Hendon [concept]

Title

RAF Hendon [concept]

Description

RAF Hendon was in the Colindale district of North London. The site was first associated with aviation in 1908-09 and it was a manufacturing and training base during the First World War. The RAF took ownership in 1925 and RAF Hendon became famous for its annual flying displays. During the 1930s several fighter squadrons of the Auxiliary Air Force were formed at RAF Hendon. In 1933 it also became home to 24 Squadron, which had the role of transporting VIPs. By the start of the Second World War only 24 Squadron was resident at RAF Hendon. During the Battle of Britain the station was briefly used by several fighter squadrons. 24 Squadron continued to transport VIPs from RAF Hendon until 1946. Part of the site is now occupied by the RAF Museum.
It was home to: 24 Squadron, 504 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: Hurricane, C-47, Anson, Oxford and York.

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Nigel Moore

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Spatial Coverage

Citation

“RAF Hendon [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 24, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/5682.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?