RAF Skipton on Swale [concept]

Title

RAF Skipton on Swale [concept]

Description

RAF Skipton-on-Swale was in Yorkshire four miles south west from Thirsk. Construction began in 1940 and it opened in August 1942 with tarmac runways. 420 Squadron flew in that month but left again in October, possibly due to the incomplete state of the station, and it was May 1943 before 432 Squadron took its place; 432 only stayed until September when it was replaced by 433 Squadron. In November of that year 433 was joined by 424 Squadron and the two units operated until October 1945 when the base closed.
It was home to: 420 Squadron, 432 Squadron, 433 Squadron, 424 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: Wellington, Halifax, Lancaster,
Wartime losses: 441

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Terry Hancock

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Skipton on Swale [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 22, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6473.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?