460 Squadron [entry point]
460 Royal Australian Air Force Squadron was formed in November 1941 at RAF Molesworth with Wellingtons. In January 1942 it transferred to RAF Breighton to become the only Australian Squadron in 1 Group. In September 1942 a planned conversion to Halifaxes was quickly changed and the next month the squadron converted to Lancasters instead. 460 Squadron moved to RAF Binbrook in May 1943, where it remained until the end of the war. By the end of the war 460 Squadron had flown more Lancaster sorties than any other squadron in Bomber Command. At the end of the war the squadron took part in Operation Manna, dropping food to the Dutch and Operation Exodus, repatriating ex-prisoners of war.Refinements:
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
This item has no relations.