103 Squadron [concept]

Title

103 Squadron [concept]

Description

103 Squadron originally formed in September 1917 as part of the Royal Flying Corps and was re-formed in August 1936. At the start of the war, it was part of the Advanced Air Striking Force. The squadron withdrew to England with only eight aircraft at the fall of France and was re-equipped with Wellingtons as part of 1 Group Bomber Command. The Squadron moved to the new station at RAF Elsham Wolds in July 1941 where it remained for the rest of the war. It converted to Halifaxes and later Lancasters. It was disbanded in November 1945.
It was stationed at: France, RAF Abingdon, RAF Newton and RAF Elsham Wolds.
Aircraft flown included: Battle, Wellington, Halifax, and Lancaster.
Wartime losses: 1155

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Gemma Clapton

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“103 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed October 16, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6284.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?