RAF Balderton [concept]

Title

RAF Balderton [concept]

Description

RAF Balderton was in Nottinghamshire, two miles south of Newark-on-Trent. Construction began in 1940 and it opened in June 1941 with grass runways as part of 5 Group. It became home to 408 Squadron and its Hampdens in December 1941. Its runways were converted by 1943 and it was handed to the United States Army Air Force in 1944 in preparation for the invasion. Frank Whittle’s prototype jets were dispersed to the airfield in March 1943 and February 1944 for engine trials.
It was home to: 408 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: Hampden, Lancaster, Halifax, Horsa, Blenheim and C-47.
Wartime losses: 195

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Clare Bennett
Julian Maslin

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Balderton [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 24, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6389.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?