RAF Alconbury [concept]

Title

RAF Alconbury [concept]

Description

RAF Alconbury was in Cambridgeshire three miles north-west of Huntingdon. It opened in 1938 as a satellite station for RAF Upwood. By the start of the war the station was used as a satellite station for RAF Wyton in 2 Group and the Battles of 12, 40 and 139 Squadrons. Blenheims replaced the Battles and 15 Squadron arrived in April 1940 also with Blenheims. In November 1940, RAF Alconbury, RAF Wyton and the squadrons transferred to 3 Group. The Blenheims were superseded by Wellingtons. Concrete runways were laid and in February 1941 40 Squadron moved in. A year later it was renumbered as 156 Squadron and stayed until August 1942. RAF Alconbury was then transferred to the United States Army Air Force for the remainder of the war.
It was home to: 12 Squadron, 40 Squadron, 139 Squadron, 15 Squadron and 156 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: Battle, Blenheim and Wellington.
Wartime losses: 306

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Nigel Moore

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Alconbury [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 21, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6386.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?