149 Squadron [entry point]
In September 1939 149 Squadron was stationed at RAF Mildenhall in 3 Group equipped with Wellingtons. In November 1941 the squadron converted to Stirlings and it flew more sorties with the Stirling than any other squadron. From April 1942 to May 1944 the squadron was based at RAF Lakenheath and from May 1944 to the end of the war it was at RAF Methwold where Lancasters replaced the Stirlings in August 1944. The squadron used the Gee-H blind bombing system. At the end of the war it took part in Operation Manna, dropping food to the Dutch and Operation Exodus, repatriating ex-prisoners of war.Refinements:
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
This item has no relations.