RAF Wigsley [concept]

Title

RAF Wigsley [concept]

Description

RAF Wigsley was in Nottinghamshire, eight miles west of Lincoln. Construction began in 1941 and it opened in February 1942 as a satellite of RAF Swinderby in 1 Group Bomber Command. 455 squadron briefly operated from Wigsley before the station became the home of a Heavy Conversion Unit. It was a relief landing ground for RAF Swinderby until 1958.
It was home to: 455 Squadron and 1654 Heavy Conversion Unit.
Aircraft flown included: Manchester, Stirling, Lancaster and Martinet.
Wartime losses: 179

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Hugh Donnelly

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Wigsley [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 22, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/5733.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?