RAF East Moor [concept]

Title

RAF East Moor [concept]

Description

RAF East Moor was in Yorkshire eight miles north of York, and was a sub-station of RAF Linton-on-Ouse. It was constructed in 1941-42 with three concrete runways, two T2 hangars, one B1 repair hangar, 36 frying pan aircraft dispersals. It opened in 1942 as part of 4 Group but passed to the Royal Canadian Air Force as part of 6 Group in July 1944. It was also used as a Heavy Conversion Unit. The airfield closed in June 1946 and the land has largely reverted to agricultural use.
It was home to: 158 Squadron, 429 Squadron, 432 Squadron, and 415 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: Wellington, Halifax, Lancaster.
Wartime losses: 502

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Clare Bennett
Julian Maslin
Nigel Moore
Terry Hancock

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF East Moor [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 20, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/5664.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?