RAF Tarrant Rushton [entry point]

Title

RAF Tarrant Rushton [entry point]

Description

RAF Tarrant Rushton was an RAF station located in Dorset 3 miles (5 kms) east of Blandford Forum.

See all Archive items | Explore nearby

RAF Tarrant Rushton opened in 1943 and was used by 38 Group for airborne forces operations. 298 Squadron and 644 Squadron were formed there with Halifaxes in a glider towing role with Horsa and Hamilcar gliders. The squadrons were also tasked with dropping Special Operations Executive (SOE) agents to support the Resistance in France. Also dropping SOE agents were the Stirlings of 196 Squadron based at the station from January to March 1944. Gliders towed by Halifaxes from RAF Tarrant Rushton landed the first troops in France for the Normandy Campaign. Later gliders from the station were used on Operation Market Garden for the attack on Arnhem. Post war the station was used for 30 years by Flight Refuelling Ltd, including using Lancasters and Lancastrians during the Berlin Airlift. The station closed in 1980.



Refinements:   

Artwork                            Text
Map                                Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log      Text. Diary
Moving image                       Text. Log book and record book
Photograph                         Text. Memoir
Physical object                    Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing          Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration        Text. Service material
Sound                              Text. Training material
Technical aid

Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.

Contributor

Citation

“RAF Tarrant Rushton [entry point],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed May 25, 2024, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/43988.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.