RAF Tempsford [entry point]

Title

RAF Tempsford [entry point]

Description

RAF Tempsford was a Bomber Command station located in Bedfordshire, 3 miles (5 kms) north-east of Sandy.

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses | Explore nearby

The station was still under construction in October 1941 when the runways were started to be used by the Wellingtons of 11 Operational Training Unit, which stayed until February 1942. The station became home to the RAF Special Duty Service as part of 3 Group. 109 Squadron arrived in January 1942 with Wellingtons to trial new radio equipment but quickly left. In March and April 1942 138 Squadron and 161 Squadron both arrived with Whitleys, Halifaxes and Lysanders specialising in the delivery of Special Operations Executive agents either by parachute or by landing at night and dropping supplies to resistance groups. The Whitleys were gradually replaced by other aircraft types including Albermarles, B-24s, Hudsons and Stirlings. 138 Squadron moved out in early 1945, leaving 161 Squadron at the station until after the war.

Refinements:
   
Artwork                            Text
Map                                Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log      Text. Diary
Moving image                       Text. Log book and record book
Photograph                         Text. Memoir
Physical object                    Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing          Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration        Text. Service material
Sound                              Text. Training material
Technical aid

Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.

Citation

“RAF Tempsford [entry point],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed May 22, 2022, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/5720.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.