RAF Coningsby [concept]

Title

RAF Coningsby [concept]

Description

RAF Coningsby is in Lincolnshire, eight miles south-west of Horncastle. It opened in January 1941, as part of 5 Group Bomber Command. 106 Squadron moved there in February 1941equipped initially with Hampdens, converting shortly afterwards to Manchesters, followed by 97 Sqn in March also with the Avro Manchester. Both squadrons started to receive the Lancaster in May 1942. Both squadrons moved out in September 1942 and concrete runways were laid in early 1943. 617 Squadron moved there in August 1943 but was replaced by 619 and 61 Squadrons. In April 1944, the station was transferred to 8 Pathfinder Group and became home to 83 and 97 Squadrons. RAF Coningsby is still operational.
It was home to: 61 Squadron, 83 Squadron, 97 Squadron, 106 Squadron, 617 Squadron and 619 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: Hampden, Manchester and Lancaster.
Wartime losses: 840

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Dave Gibson

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Coningsby [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 20, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/5653.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?