RAF Inver [entry point]
The station was built on the site of the pre-war range at Tain. It opened in September 1941 in Fighter Command. In March and April 1942 the station was used by Halifaxes from Bomber Command as a forward station from which to attack the Tirpitz in Norway. In October 1942 the runways were extended and in February 1943 the station transferred to Coastal Command. It was used by B-24s including, from August 1944, 311 Squadron, previously in Bomber Command. RAF Tain is still a Ministry of Defence air weapons range.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.