RAF Dalcross [entry point]

Title

RAF Dalcross [entry point]

Description

RAF Dalcross was a training station in the Scottish Highland region located 8 miles (13 kms) north east from Inverness, on the southern shore of the Moray Firth.

See all Archive items | Explore nearby

Opened in 1940 RAF Dalcross was first occupied by 614 Squadron flying Lysanders. Hard runways were then added and from 1941 the station was used for training. The two main units using the station were 2 Air Gunnery School and 19 (Pilots) Advanced Flying Unit. Aircraft used included Defiants, Lysanders, Ansons, Martinets, Oxfords and Wellingtons. The station had a number of relief airfields in the area including RAF Brackla, RAF Inver (aka RAF Tain), RAF Elgin and RAF Forres. In 1947 RAF Dalcross was put under civilian control as a replacement for RAF Inverness (aka RAF Longman). The RAF continued to use Dalcross until 1953. The site is now Inverness Airport.

Refinements:   

Artwork                            Text
Map                                Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log      Text. Diary
Moving image                       Text. Log book and record book
Photograph                         Text. Memoir
Physical object                    Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing          Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration        Text. Service material
Sound                              Text. Training material
Technical aid

Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.

Contributor

Citation

“RAF Dalcross [entry point],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed July 23, 2024, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/44028.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.