History of 192 Squadron

SDexterKI127249v10018.jpg

Title

History of 192 Squadron

Description

History from formation on 5 September 1917 until 1958. Includes bases, aircraft and commanding officers.

Language

Type

Format

One page printed document

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Identifier

SDexterKI127249v10018

Transcription

[inserted] Annex ‘F’ [/inserted]

No. 192 SQUADRON

BADGE
In front of a flash of lightning an owl’s head affrontee

MOTTO
‘Dare to discover’

[missing letter]he Squadron was first formed at Gainsborough on 5 September, [missing number]917 to serve in a night training role from Newmarket where it [missing letter]mained until disbandment in December, 1918.

No. 192 re-formed at Gransden Lodge on 4 January, 1943 from [missing letter]o. 1474 Flight with Wellingtons and Mosquitoes. At first it was [missing letter]on-operational to re-equip with Halifaxes but on 26 January [missing letters]sumed operations. These consisted of exploratory flights over [missing letters]emy territory to identify enemy radars and establish the [missing letter]awelengths used. In February a detachment went to the Mediter[missing letter]nean for similar duties. By March the aircraft were flying along the [missing letter]orwegian, French, Spanish, Dutch and Danish coasts and inland [missing word] far as Berlin. In May a detachment went to work with Coastal [missing letter]ommand, operating over Biscay and the Western Approaches. By [missing letter]id-summer over 50 sorties a month were being flown of which [missing letters]ree aircraft were lost (all over Biscay).

In 1944 the Squadron began flying its sorties in co-operation with bomber raids over Germany but the main task was still to keep a check on advances in enemy radar so that the other 100 Group squadrons could use the information in their jamming sorties. In May, 1944 a detachment went to Ford and flew special sorties along the line of the North Downs during the nights of the invasion of France; sortie rate reached its peak in July, 1944 with 153 trips. In September two USAAF P-38 Lightnings were attached and flew twenty-one of the 196 sorties flown; in October the work was concentrated on locating signals for enemy missiles investigating [italics] Egon [/italics] during actual bombing raids, and [italics] Knickerbein [/italics] and [italics] Benito [/italics] radio guidance systems. The last Wellington operation was flown on 7 January but the intensity of operations continued until the end of April, 1945 when the collapse of the Reich brought 192 Squadron’s work to an end. It was disbanded at Foulsham on 22 August, 1945, being the basis of the newly-formed Central Signals Establishment.

On 15 July, 1951 it was re-formed as part of the Establishment at Watton for operational signals research and equipped with Lincolns, Canberras and Washingtons. It served actively in this role until 1958, being re-numbered 51 Squadron on 21 August.

Bases etc.

Formed from No. 1474 Flight at Gransden Lodge on 4 January, 1943.
Gransden Lodge – Jan 1943 – Apr 1943
Feltwell, det. Chivenor, Lossiemouth, Davidstow Moor – Apr 1943 – Nov 1943
Foulsham, det. Ford, Lossiemouth – Nov 1943 – Aug 1945
Disbanded at Fouilsham on 22 August, 1945. Re-formed at Watton on 15 July, 1951.
Watton – Jul 1951 – Aug 1958
Disbanded by re-numbering as No. 51 Squadron at Watton on 21 August, 1958.

Main Equipment

Vickers Wellington IC (Jan 1943 – Feb 1943)
N2772, DT:E; R1797; Z1162; AD590; AD600; HF837

Vickers Wellington III (Jan 1943 – 1943)
X3566

Vickers Wellington X (Jan 1943 – Jan 1945)
HE243, DT:K; HE380, DT:J; HE472, DT:P; HE826, DT:D; HE857, DT:F; HZ415, DT:A2; LN172, DT:J; LN398, DT:A; LN789, DT:C; LP156, DT:D; LP345, DT:G; NC704, DT:A

de Havilland Mosquito IV (Jan 1943 – Aug 1945)
[inserted symbol] DZ376, DT:M; DZ410, DT:K; DZ491, DT:N; DZ590, DT:I; DZ617, DT:O

Handley Page Halifax II (Jan 1943 – Jul 1943)
DT735; DT737

Handley Page Halifax V (Jul 1943 – Feb 1944)
DK244, DT:Q; DK246, DT:R; LL132, DT:Q

Handley Page Halifax III (Feb 1944 – Aug 1945)
LK780, DT:X; [underlined] LW613, DT:W; [/underlined] LW626, DT:V; MZ358, DT:F; MZ449, DT:Y; [underlined] MZ564, DT:X; MZ717 [/underlined], DT:O; MZ806, DT:R; MZ929, DT:X; NA242, DT:D; NP970, DT:T; NR187, DT:U

Lockheed P-38L Lightning (Sep 1944 – Mar 1945)
44-23156

de Havilland Mosquito XVI (Mar 1945 – Aug 1945)
NS776, DT:I; NS797, DT:N; NS816, DT:O; RF974, DT:J

Avro Lincoln B.2 ( 1952 – Aug 1958)
SS715, 53; SX980, 54; WD130, 61

Boeing Washington B.1 ( 1952 – 1954)
WZ966, 55; WZ967, 56; WZ968, 57

English Electric Canberra B.2 ( 1952 – Aug 1958)

Commanding Officers

W/Cdr C.D.V. Willis, DFC – Jan 1943 – Mar 1944
W/Cdr E.P.M. Fernbank, DFC – Mar 1944 – Jun 1944
W/Cdr D.W. Donaldson, DSO, DFC – Jun 1944 – Aug 1945

Aircraft Insignia

During World War II the Squadron’s aircraft carried the code letter combination ‘DT’ on its aircraft. During the fifties the Squadron’s aircraft carried no specific insignia.

[inserted] DZ376 Not listed here – probably being made of wood was written off. The Halifax could be repaired. [/inserted]

[inserted] DT.W is visible in photo 2 background. [/inserted]

Citation

“History of 192 Squadron,” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed May 19, 2022, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/9395.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.