141 Squadron [concept]

Title

141 Squadron [concept]

Description

141 Squadron spent the first part of the war in Fighter Command. Initially equipped with Gladiators and Blenheims it converted to Defiants in April 1940. Following early daylight losses the squadron became a night-fighter squadron. In April 1941 it converted to Beaufighters. In April 1943 141 Squadron was stationed at RAF Wittering and began to fly intruder operations in support of Bomber Command. Mosquitos replaced the Beaufighters in October 1943. The squadron transferred to Bomber Command in December 1943 as part of 100 Group and assisted the main bomber stream by attacking German night-fighters and stations.

It was stationed at: RAF Wittering and RAF West Raynham.
Aircraft flown included: Beaufighter and Mosquito.
Wartime losses: 25

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Nigel Moore

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“141 Squadron [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed December 16, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6297.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?