RAF Prestwick [entry point]
RAF Prestwick was mainly a ferry hub located on the South Ayrshire coast 3 miles (5 kms) north of Ayr.
At the start of the war RAF Prestwick was home to an Elementary Flying Training School with Tiger Moths. 1 Air Observers and Navigation School also used the station as did 1 (Coastal) Operating Training Unit, Radio Schools and Beam Approach Units. 141 Squadron with Defiants used the station as did Hurricane and Spitfire detachments. From September 1941 RAF Prestwick was mainly used for ferry routes with an Air Transport Auxiliary Ferry Pool. B-17s and Mosquitos flew in on the Atlantic ferry route and Wellingtons and B-24s flew out on the Middle East ferry route. By the end of the war 37,000 aircraft had passed through RAF Prestwick. The station was handed back to civilian use in 1946 and it is now Glasgow Prestwick Airport.
Artwork Text Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.