Flying diary



Flying diary


Accounts of flying formation on 2 February 1941, cross country in a Wellington 3 March 1941, night flying om 4 March, cross country and night flying 5 March.




Two page handwritten document


This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit and





Sunday 2 Feb 1941

70 minutes formation flying in 6405 with Hodge in 6399. Tightest Formation flying so far. We dived over St Albans & then finally, over base. Recovered my confidence to a great extent. Evening, saw ‘The Baroness & the Butterfly’ in company with Pereira, Hodge, Smith, Crouchen & Orton. Wm Powell starred in the film.

3 March 41, Monday

Wakened by Esnouf at 1am. Told a wimpey had just landed. Wakened again at 4am by an S.P. with Brewerton to X Flight crewroom. details as usual an hour behind time. Then cloud and mist. At 6 am told everything off. Taxied 6399 across to ‘W’ Flight at 7.30. At other side, when swinging a/c around, rear nav-light struck heap of tarred road material. Took a/c back to no. 2 hangar. Did some formation flying with Millet in the afternoon.

4 March. Tuesday

Day off but detailed for Sibson for night flying. Flew there with Sgt Millar and Sgt Grain. Mist came down once I had done one circuit. Went out to Elton, a nearby village; not to the Haycock as we usually do. Got back about 11pm. Still misty. Slept reasonably warmly under 6 damp, mud-caked blankets. Up at

[page break]

8. Back at Cranfield by 10.

Wednesday. 5 March 41

Within half an hour of landing from Sibson, was sent off on no.5 cross-country with Pereira. Landed 3pm. Shower and shave. Detailed for night-flying. At 8pm did 3 circuits dual, then told to go solo. Suspense was increased by the aircraft having to have a fresh battery fitted. made a botch of my first approach, finishing up at 300’ at right angles, for God’s sake, to the runway. Didn’t panic. Made a second circuit and a good landing.



“Flying diary,” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed April 15, 2024,

Item Relations

This item has no relations.