Arado 196

PThomasAF20060009.jpg
PThomasAF20060010.jpg

Title

Arado 196

Description

Photo 1, 2 and 3 are an AR196 on a ship's launch ramp. Its primary role was maritime reconnaissance.
Photo 4 is a port side view of an AR196 flying over the coast.
Photo 5 is an AR196 on a trolley outside a hangar.

Language

Type

Format

Five b/w photographs on an album page

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Identifier

PThomasAF20060009,
PThomasAF20060010

Transcription

[Photograph]

Arado AR 196

Reconnaissance Floatplane

[Photograph]

[Photograph]

[Page break]

[Photograph]

[Photograph]

Arado AR 196.

Originally designed to use one float with a balancing float under each wing. Later marks however were built with two stabilising floats. The AR 196 resulted from a 1936 requirement for a reconnaissance floatplae [sic] that could be catapulted from the larger German warships, & was selected in preference to the rival Focke-Wulf FW 62 biplane. Total production of the AR196 was 546, including comparatively small numbers built in France by SNCA & in the Netherlands by Fokker. These aircraft equipped 10 shore based squadrons as well as Germany’s larger warships right up to the end of the Second World War. The type operated in areas as widely separated as the Black Sea & the Bay of Biscay.

Citation

“Arado 196,” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed February 25, 2024, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/23130.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.