RAF Bentley Priory [entry point]
The 18th Century house in the Priory estate was acquired by the RAF in 1926 and, during World War Two, was the headquarters of both Fighter Command and the Royal Observer Corps. The ‘Dowding System’ used to control the Battle of Britain was focussed on the station with its filter room and operations room receiving radar and Observer Corps information before passing the relevant information down the chain of command to fighter groups, sector stations and individual stations. On 6 June 1944 King George VI, Winston Churchill and General Dwight Eisenhower followed the progress of the Normandy campaign D-Day landings from the operations room at RAF Bentley Priory. The site now houses a museum.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.