RAF Waterbeach [entry point]
It opened in March 1941 as part of 3 Group with the Wellingtons of 99 Squadron. It was joined by 26 Conversion Flight in October and 106 Conversion Flight in December, both equipped with Stirlings and merging to form 1651 Conversion Unit (CU) in January 1941. 99 Squadron left in February 1942 and was replaced by two more Conversion Flights, 15 and 214, until they combined with 1651 CU to become 1651 Heavy Conversion Unit (HCU) in October 1942. That left in November 1943 and was replaced by 514 Squadron and 1678 Heavy Conversion Unit, both equipped with radial-engined Lancaster Mk 2s. 1678 HCU was disbanded in summer 1944 and during the autumn of 1944 514 Squadron’s Lancaster Mk 2s were replaced by Merlin-engined Lancasters.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.