Focke-Wulf Fw 159 and Focke-Wulf 189

PThomasAF20060052.jpg

Title

Focke-Wulf Fw 159 and Focke-Wulf 189

Description

Photo 1 is a Fw 159 fighter seen from the front on the ground.
Photo 2 is a flying view of a Fw 189 seen from the starboard/front.

Language

Type

Format

Two b/w photographs on an album page

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Identifier

PThomasAF20060052

Transcription

[Photograph]

Focke-Wulf 159.
In 1934 the German Air Ministry issued a requirement for a fighter powered by the Junkers Jumo 210 in-line engine. Focke-Wulf responded with the FW 159, which was in essence a scaled up version of the parasol winged FW 56 Strosser. In the Spring of 1936 four designs were evaluated in a competition that was won by the Messerschmitt Bf 109. The two FW 159’s were then used as trials aircraft up until 1939.

[Photograph]
Nahaufklärungsflugzeug Focke-Wulf Fw 189.

Focke-Wulf 189.
Three seat Tactical Reconnasiance [sic] & Army Co-operation aircraft. Powered by two Argus As 410A 12 cylinder inverted Vee air cooled engines. Known as the ‘Flying Eye’ by its pilots, the 189 proved extremely versatile, universally popular with its crews, & one of the most reliable aircraft ever to see Luftwaffe service. Fist flew in July 1938.

Citation

“Focke-Wulf Fw 159 and Focke-Wulf 189,” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed November 29, 2022, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/23187.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.