RAF Barrow in Furness (also known as Walney) is located on Walney Island, Cumbria, 2 miles (3 kms) north-west of Barrow in Furness.
The station opened in October 1941 and it was used throughout the war by 10 Gunnery School. Lysanders and Defiants were initially used but later superseded by Ansons. Later in the war Wellingtons were used with Spitfires and Hurricanes utilised for fighter simulations.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.