RAF Wing [entry point]
RAF Wing was a Bomber Command training station located in Buckinghamshire, 4 miles (6 kms) west of Leighton Buzzard.
The station was opened in November 1941 and in January 1942 it became home to 26 Operational Training Unit until it disbanded in March 1946. Satellite airfields were also constructed at RAF Cheddington and RAF Little Horwood. A Q-type decoy site was also constructed nearby. Aircraft flown from RAF Wing included Wellingtons, Ansons, Lysanders, Tiger Moths, Defiants and Proctors. Aircraft from the OTU took part in the first 1000 bomber operations in May 1942 against Cologne. RAF Wing was one of the main reception stations for Operation Exodus, the repatriation of thousands of ex-prisoners of war in April-May 1945.Refinements:
Item type refinement is covered in the FAQ section, questions 12 and 13. The Archive also comes with a range of tools for searching and browsing content: please see the help page.
Map Text. Correspondence
Map. Navigation chart and log Text. Diary
Moving image Text. Log book and record book
Photograph Text. Memoir
Physical object Text. Personal research
Physical object. Clothing Text. Poetry
Physical object. Decoration Text. Service material
Sound Text. Training material
This item has no relations.