Browse Items (54 total)

  • Tags: Hampden

144 Squadron was first formed in 1918 and reformed in 1937.
At the start of the war 144 Squadron was stationed at RAF Hemswell in 5 Group and equipped with Hampdens. The squadron transferred to Coastal Command in April 1942 and continued its …

106 Squadron was formed in 1917 and reformed in 1938. At first it was a reserve bomber squadron flying Hampdens as part of 5 Group stationed at RAF Cottesmore. It moved to RAF Finningley and RAF Coningsby where it converted to Manchesters and then…

83 Squadron was first formed during the First World war but re-formed in August 1936. Its motto was Strike to Defend. The squadron converted from Hampdens to Manchesters in December 1941 and to Lancasters in May 1942. The squadron transferred to 8…

76 Squadron was formed in Yorkshire in 1916. It was reformed at RAF Finningley in April 1937 and was a training squadron. It became operational in June 1942, and from June 1943 it was stationed at Holme-on- Spalding Moor.
It was stationed at: RAF…

50 Squadron was reformed in May 1937 and converted from biplanes to Hampdens in 1938 becoming part of 5 Group Bomber Command. The squadron flew daylight operations in Hampdens at start of the war until losses proved too great. They converted to…

49 Squadron was formed in the First World War but reformed in 1936 as part of 3 Group Bomber Command. Its motto was Cave Canem (Beware of the Dog). Having flown more Hampden sorties during the war than any other squadron, it converted to Manchesters…

44 Squadron was reformed in March 1937 and flew Hampdens from RAF Waddington as part of 5 Group Bomber Command at the start of the war. The squadron was the first squadron to convert completely to Lancasters in 1941. The squadron was named Rhodesia…

7 Squadron was formed in May 1914 at Farnborough. In June 1939 it became a training unit, preparing crews for flying Hampdens. On 1 August 1940 it reformed with Stirlings, the first squadron to fly the aircraft, and was posted to 3 Group in October…

RAF Waddington is in Lincolnshire, three miles south of Lincoln. It opened in November 1916, closed after the end of the First World War and reopened in March 1937. Concrete runways were laid in 1943. Waddington was home to several squadrons flying…

RAF Upper Heyford was in Oxfordshire five miles north west of Bicester. It was originally opened in July 1918, closed in 1920 but reopened in 1927. 16 Operational Training Unit was formed at the station in April 1940 with Hampdens and Herefords to…

RAF Syerston was in Nottinghamshire, seven miles south-west of Newark-on-Trent. It opened in December 1940, and concrete runways were laid in 1942. It reopened as part of 5 Group Bomber Command. It was home to several squadrons and units flying a…

RAF St Eval was in Cornwall eight miles north east of Newquay. Construction started in 1938 and it opened in October 1939. It was part of RAF Coastal Command and its primary role was to provide anti-submarine and anti-shipping patrols off the south…

RAF Skellingthorpe was in Lincolnshire, two miles south-west of Lincoln. It opened in 1941 as part of 5 Group Bomber Command. The station closed in 1955.
It was home to: 50 Squadron, 61 Squadron and 455 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: …

RAF Scampton is in Lincolnshire six miles north of Lincoln. It opened in 1916 but closed after the end of the First World War. It was rebuilt and reopened in 1936 and was home to several squadrons flying Hampdens, Manchesters and Lancasters part of…

RAF Pembrey was in Carmarthenshire eight miles northwest of Llanelli. It opened in 1939 and was used by a number of day and night fighter squadrons. 14 Operational Training Unit with Hampdens also used the station. Between 1941 – 1945 RAF Pembrey…

RAF Lossiemouth was in Morayshire on the western edge of the town of the same name, approximately 42 miles north east of Inverness, Scotland. Construction of the airfield began in 1938 and it opened in May 1939. Concrete runways were built in late…

RAF Lindholme was an airfield in Yorkshire, seven miles north east of Doncaster. It was originally called RAF Halfield Woodhouse and opened in 1940 as a grass airfield. Its two runways were concreted and it reopened in October 1942 as a training…

RAF Finningley was in Yorkshire four miles south-east of Doncaster. It opened in 1936, and was initially home to 7 and 102 Squadrons. In September 1939 RAF Finningley was in 5 Group with 7 and 76 Squadrons but both were replaced by 106 Squadron in a…

RAF Coningsby is in Lincolnshire, eight miles south-west of Horncastle. It opened in January 1941, as part of 5 Group Bomber Command. 106 Squadron moved there in February 1941equipped initially with Hampdens, converting shortly afterwards to…

PReidS1701.jpg
Simson Reid was born in Scotland and was able to have a flight with Alan Cobham’s Flying Circus which although short, fostered an interest in aviation. He volunteered for the Royal Air Force and was posted to flying Hampdens as an air gunner. As…

AMottersheadF160430.mp3
Frank Mottershead grew up in Australia and volunteered for the Royal Australian Air Force. He flew operations as a wireless operator with 463 Squadron at RAF Waddington. The whole crew had a tradition of always flying with a gold kangaroo pendant in…

PEllisMW1701.jpg
Mary Wilkins Ellis was born in Oxfordshire and became interested in aviation at a very early age. She experienced her first flight with Alan Cobham’s Flying Circus. Mary learned to fly while still at school and obtained her licence in 1938. When…

PCrooksGA1601.jpg
George Crooks was an apprentice electrician before volunteering for the Royal Air Force at the age of eighteen. After his training he served as an armourer with 50 Squadron at RAF Swinderby and later RAF Skellingthorpe. He later worked experimenting…

PBaggJG1602.jpg
John Bagg worked as a clerk before joining the Royal Air Force at the age of twenty. He was trained as an Instrument Mechanic before remustering and completing a specialist camera course. He went on to serve on several training stations. After the…

LWoolgarRLA139398v1.pdf
Observer's and air gunner's flying log book for Flight Lieutenant Reg Woolgar from 29 November 1940 to 21 July 1947. Detailing training schedule, instructional duties and operations flown. Served at RAF Yatesbury, RAF West Freugh, RAF Upper Heyford,…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2