Browse Items (58 total)

  • Contributor is exactly "Julian Maslin"

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses In September 1939, 12 Squadron was part of the Advanced Air Striking Force in France equipped with Battles. It returned to Britain in June 1940 at RAF Finningley in 1 Group. From June to September 1940…

See all Archive items| See all wartime losses27 Squadron served on the North West Frontier of India during the 1920s and 1930s. At the start of the war in Europe, it became a training unit but it was equipped with Blenheims and posted to Malaya in…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses In September 1939, 35 Squadron was a training unit, equipped with a mix of Battles, Ansons and Blenheims. It was based successively at RAF Cranfield, RAF Bassingbourn and RAF Upwood before it became 17…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses In September 1939, 37 Squadron was based at RAF Feltwell in 3 Group equipped with Wellingtons. The squadron was transferred to Egypt in November 1940 from where it successively moved to Libya, Tunisia…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses At the start of the war 38 Squadron was part of 3 Group based at RAF Marham flying Wellingtons. In November 1940 it was posted to Egypt and spent the rest of the war in the Mediterranean Theatre and…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses At the start of the war 40 Squadron was part of the Advanced Air Striking Force in France equipped with Battles. On returning to Britain in December 1939 at RAF Wyton in 2 Group it converted to…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses In September 1939, 49 Squadron was at RAF Scampton flying Hampdens as part of 5 Group. Having flown more Hampden sorties than any other squadron it converted to Manchesters in April 1942 and then to…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses In September 1939, 58 Squadron was operating Whitleys from RAF Linton on Ouse as part of 4 Group.From October 1939 to February 1940 it was loaned to Coastal Command before returning to 4 Group at RAF…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses At the start of the war 61 Squadron was part of 5 Group flying Hampdens at RAF Hemswell. In July 1941 it converted to Manchesters and moved to RAF North Luffenham where it stayed until November 1941.…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses 76 Squadron was reformed at RAF Finningley in April 1937 and was a training squadron with Ansons and Hampdens at RAF Upper Heyford until April 1940 when it became 16 Operational Training Unit. It…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses By September 1939, 78 Squadron was at RAF Dishforth in 4 Group flying Whitleys. It was acting as a reserve squadron and from December 1939 to July 1940 it was based at RAF Linton on Ouse. Returning to…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses At the start of the war 83 Squadron were part of 5 Group based at RAF Scampton flying Hampdens. The squadron converted to Manchesters in December 1941 and then to Lancasters in May 1942. It transferred…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses In September 1939, 106 Squadron was a reserve bomber unit flying Hampdens as part of 5 Group stationed at RAF Cottesmore. It moved to RAF Finningley in October 1939 and became operational in September…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses 109 Squadron was reformed in December 1940 at RAF Boscombe Down. Using Whitleys, Ansons and Wellingtons it developed radio counter-measures and also the Oboe blind bombing system. From January 1942 to…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses In September 1939 226 Squadron was part of the Advanced Air Striking Force in France flying Battles. It suffered heavy losses and regrouped at RAF Sydenham before moving to RAF Wattisham with Blenheims…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses 300 Squadron was one of four Polish squadrons in Bomber Command and was formed in July 1940 at RAF Bramcote with Battles and manned by Poles who had escaped from Poland and of France. The squadron moved…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses 301 Squadron was one of four Polish squadrons in Bomber Command and was formed with Battles at RAF Bramcote in July 1940. The squadron moved to RAF Swinderby in August 1940 where it converted to…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses 304 Squadron was one of four Polish Squadrons in Bomber Command. It was formed in August 1940 at RAF Bramcote with Battles. In December 1940 it became part of 1 Group, moved to RAF Syerston and…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses 466 Royal Australian Air Force Squadron was formed in October 1942 as part of 4 Group at RAF Driffield. Although an Australian squadron the majority of its personnel were originally British and it was…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses 467 Royal Australian Air Force Squadron was formed at RAF Scampton in November 1942 equipped with Lancasters as part of 5 Group. It quickly moved to RAF Bottesford and after spending almost a year…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses 514 Squadron was formed as part of 3 Group in September 1943 at RAF Foulsham equipped with the radial engined Lancaster Mk 2. The squadron became operational in early November 1943 just before moving to…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses 576 Squadron was formed as part of 1 Group Bomber Command in November 1943 at RAF Elsham Wolds from the ‘C’ Flight of 103 Squadron. It moved to RAF Fiskerton in October 1944. At the end of the war…

See all Archive items | See all wartime losses Led by Guy Gibson 617 Squadron was formed at RAF Scampton in March 1943 specifically to attack the Eder, Möhne and Sorpe dams with the bouncing bombinvented by Barnes Wallis and carried by modified…

RAF Balderton was a Bomber Command station located in Nottinghamshire, 2 miles (3 kms) south of Newark-on-Trent.See all Archive items | See all wartime losses | Explore nearbyIt opened in June 1941 and initially used as a satellite airfield for the…

RAF Bowden (also known as BCATP Station Bowden) was located at Bowden, Alberta, Canada.See all Archive items | Explore nearbyThe station opened in the summer of 1941 and it was used by 32 Elementary Flying Training School. In July 1942, it was…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2