RAF Topcliffe [concept]

Title

RAF Topcliffe [concept]

Description

RAF Topcliffe was in Yorkshire three miles south west from Thirsk. Construction began in 1939 and it opened in September 1940 as a grass airfield. In October 1940 77 Squadron moved in, staying until September 1941, and was joined by 102 Squadron from November 1940 to November 1941. Concrete runways were laid between November 1941 and June 1942, when the airfield reopened. 405 Squadron moved in in February for a brief stay until August, being replaced by 419 Squadron from August to October and 424 from October to April 1943. 405 Squadron returned briefly in March but the station then became the home of 1659 Heavy Conversion Unit which remained until September 1945. The station then transferred to transport duties and post war was used crew training and by Coastal Command until 1969 when it was handed over to the army, who are still in residence.
It was home to: 77 Squadron, 102 Squadron, 405 Squadron, 419 Squadron and 424 Squadron.
Aircraft flown included: Whitley, Halifax, Wellington and Lancaster.
Wartime losses: 531

Publisher

IBCC Digital Archive

Contributor

Terry Hancock

Rights

This content is available under a CC BY-NC 4.0 International license (Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0). It has been published ‘as is’ and may contain inaccuracies or culturally inappropriate references that do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the University of Lincoln or the International Bomber Command Centre. For more information, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ and https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/legal.

Citation

“RAF Topcliffe [concept],” IBCC Digital Archive, accessed March 21, 2019, https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.ac.uk/omeka/collections/document/6486.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Can you help improve this description?